Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Update Status for Ashikabi no Shinobi

I think I'm doing pretty good when it comes to pushing my Ashikabi chapter along. Yesterday I managed to go from 3,736 words to 6,967 words, that's not quite twice as many words as before, but it's still pretty good.

I'm expecting this chapter to be one of my longer ones. I thought of doing this in multiple chapters at one point, but decided against it because I really just want it out of the way. The projected word count for this chapter is somewhere above 15,000 and possibly even above 20,000, depending on how things go. There is a lot to consider in this chapter, and a lot that I need to have happen.

One of the hardest parts of writing this particular chapter is the constantly shifting POV. I want to show all of the fights going on at the same time equally, which means I need to be shifting perspective very often between Akitsu, Homura, Uzume, Musubi and Tsukiumi so that you can enjoy their fights at the same time.

This also requires finding good places to shift perspective. I can't just randomly change the POV, otherwise it will look slobby. I need to find the right spots to end each scene so that it leaves you all in suspense until the battles are over and done with.

Another issue I'm having is finding a way to make the fights interesting without overpowering my characters. Homura, Akitsu and Tsukiumi are all single digits. They are supposed to be more powerful than the other Sekirei. This makes any battle where they are not facing another single digit hard to make interesting because they are supposedly much stronger than any other Sekirei and only the ones designated five and below are more powerful than these three.

Still, it's not all bad. I am at least making steady progress in my writing, which is more than I can say for most  authors right now. A good deal of my favorite authors do not seem to be updating at all, or their updates take a super long time as was the case with Delenda Est.

Not that I blame any author for not updating. Real life sometimes tends to get in the way, and fanfiction writing does not pay the bills.