Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pickier and pickier

Chapter 42 for Shifts in Life is coming along nicely. I actually think this arc might turn out to be my best one yet. It should come out some time this Saturday.

Now, since I don't have much to actually say about story, I'm going to talk about something else. Namely, I'm going to do some philosophical rambling about human development when it comes to story writing. Or how I feel about the stories I read the more I write my own stories.

Why am I talking about me you ask? Well, this is my blog. Why wouldn't I talk about me?

I don't know if it's just me, but I find that as time goes on, my list for stories I read gets smaller. I find myself growing pickier of the stories I read with every passing month. Things like grammar and English get on my nerves when they are not done well (and by well I mean their English has to at least be as good as mine), stories with overly contrived plot devices that are so obvious even a child could notice them have become abhorrent to me. I've even begun disliking some of the stories I used to love because of this.

To be honest, I wonder if this is the curse of being a writer. As you grow in experience and skill as an author, even one of fanfiction, you become more and more critical of your own work and the work of others.

Do you any of you guys feel the same way? Or is it just me?