Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Crossovers

I want your guys' opinion on something. Recently, I've been getting really into crossovers. Specifically Naruto being crossed over with other anime/manga/tv shows/comics etc. etc.. However, as I was reading several stories, I found myself not enjoying a number of them.

I'll admit right now that I am a very picky reader. There are a number of requirements that a story needs before I'll consider it; excellent Grammar, witty dialogue, good use of pacing, no overly blatant plot devices and no can of insta-love romances. Now, I will read a few stories that do not have these; for example, I can ignore blatant plot devices if a story has excellent grammar, witty dialogue and good pacing, but there are some things I can't ignore like Insta-love romances.

Maybe it's just because I'm so picky that I find it even harder to find good crossover stories. Like normal fanfiction, I have certain prerequisites that a story must have for me to enjoy it. These have more to do with the story itself though, and not the actual writing.

Let's take Naruto crossovers for example. To me, a proper Naruto crossover is either taking Naruto, along with one or more characters should you choose, and bringing them into the crossed over world through some means (dimensional travel, time travel, immortal, so and so forth). The other way is taking the other world you are making the crossover with and bringing them into the Naruto world. For example, perhaps the Shinigami from Bleach exist in the Naruto world instead of the Bleach canon world.

All this being said, there are a few ways where I feel people botch up stories. The biggest one, and the one I hate the most is when people turn the Main Character into something other than the Main Character.

Seeing how Naruto is my favorite right now, we'll use him as an example. To me, Naruto Uzumaki is the son of Kushina Uzumaki, the Red Hot Blood Habanero and second Jinchurikki to Kurama, and Minato Namikaze, the Yellow Flash of Konoha. He was born within Konohagakure No Saito in the Elemental Nations.

This is Naruto Uzumaki. This is his history that you simply can't erase or change because doing so means that he is no longer Naruto Uzumaki, but an OC character who bears the name Naruto Uzumaki. By changing this history you could call him Don Kanonji and it wouldn't make a damn difference to the story.

To me, that means that giving Naruto a history in the crossed over world, like, making Naruto the son of Skanks, Long Jon Silver, Obi-Wan Kinobi or someone who is not named Kushina Uzumaki and Minato Namikaze and having him born outside the Elemental Nations pretty much destroys any sense of a crossover story that could have had. I don't want to read about some OC character who just so happens to have been given the same name as one of my favorite characters because so and so author was too damn lazy to give his OC an original name. When I read a Naruto/crossover story, I want to read about Naruto, the original Naruto from the canon Naruto world, not some OC with a passing resemblance and the same name.

This is actually why I've not read stories like History's Strongest Shinobi by Kenchi618, who is by far my favorite Naruto fanfic author on Fanfiction.net.

Does anyone agree with me? Or do you guys think I'm being overly critical?