Sunday, August 4, 2013

Plagiarizing ma Work

I received an interesting message the other day from a guy/girl whose penname was BitteOrca. According to him, someone StormyRebel was plagiarizing some of my work, literally copying and pasting large sections of my story to use as his own.

Naturally, being the curious guy that I am, I went to take a look. The story is called Shoton of Konoha, and I found out that the dude was indeed copying and pasting work from one of my stories, namely my Shifts in Life story.

Excerpt from Shifts in Life:


"Can I help you?"

Naruto stiffened and almost shouted as he spun around. Behind him was a young girl that was maybe a year older than him, wearing a Chinese style pink tank top, dark green cargo pants and had her hair done up in two buns. To Naruto they made her kind of look like a panda. Or a mouse. Naruto did his best not to snicker at the thought.

"Helloooo?" Naruto blinked as the girl waved a hand in front of his face.

"Um… what?" Naruto said, blushing in embarrassment as he took a step back and put a hand behind his head.

The girl just looked at him before she rolled her eyes at the kid's inattentiveness and shrugged. "I was asking if you needed help finding anything?"

"Erm…" Naruto blinked in surprise. "You work here?"

"That's right!" the girl said. "My name is Higarashi Tenten. My father owns this store so I come in and help when I'm not on missions."

"You're a ninja then?" Naruto asked curiously.

"Yep, I've been a ninja for about a year now," Tenten replied.

"That's awesome!" Naruto stated with a large grin. "I just graduated…" he blinked as he remembered why he was here. "You know you can help me, I was looking into getting some new clothes!"

"I can see why," Tenten said with an amused smirk. "Your clothes are hideous."
"Hey!" Naruto said, feeling the need to defend his clothes. "These clothes are warm and comfortable and-"

"Ugly," Tenten finished with a grin, "seriously who wears orange?"

"I like orange!" Naruto shouted indignantly. Seriously, what was it with people continuing to diss on the color orange? It was the best color in the world! "It's my favorite color!"

Shoton of Konoha Excerpt:

"Can I help you?"

Naruto stiffened and almost shouted as he spun around. Behind him was a young girl that was maybe a year older than him, wearing a Chinese style pink tank top, dark green cargo pants and had her hair done up in two buns. To Naruto they made her kind of look like a panda.'Or a mouse'. Naruto did his best not to snicker at the thought.

"Hello?" Tenten asked, while waving her hand in front of Naruto's face. He blinked a couple of times.

"Um… what?" Naruto said, blushing in embarrassment as he took a step back and put a hand behind his head.

The girl just looked at him before she rolled her eyes at the kid's inattentiveness and shrugged. "I was asking if you needed help finding anything."

"Erm…" Naruto blinked in surprise. "You work here?"

"That's right!" the girl said. "My name is Higarashi Tenten. My father owns this store so I come in and help when I'm not on missions."

"You're a shinobi then?" Naruto asked curiously.

"Yep, I've been a shinobi for about a year now," Tenten replied.

"That's awesome!" Naruto stated with a large grin. "I just graduated…" he blinked as he remembered why he was here."You know you can help me, I was looking into getting some new clothes!"

"I can see why," Tenten said with an amused smirk. "Your clothes are hideous."

"Hey!" Naruto said, feeling the need to defend his clothes. "These clothes are warm and comfortable and-"

"Ugly," Tenten finished with a grin, "seriously who wears orange?"

"I like orange!" Naruto shouted indignantly. Seriously, what was it with people continuing to diss on the color orange? It was the best color in the world! "It's my favorite color!"

I'm sure you can see it, but there is no difference between what I wrote many years back for Shifts in Life and what this dude wrote for his Shoton of Konoha. Normally, if one or more sentence were very similar, I would have assumed it to be a coincidence. But that is not the case here. The entire excerpt is exactly the same.

Now, I don't mind it when people use my ideas as a base for their own stories. They say that imitation is one of the best forms of flattery, but there are points where I draw the line. For example, copying several lines of text and pasting it in your own story without even giving credit to the original author.

I know this is fanfiction people, and none of our stories are truly ours because of it, but that doesn't give you the excuse to copy other people's work so blatantly and without even giving credit to the author who wrote it.