Thursday, May 22, 2014

Harry Potter and the Heir of Slytherin, Chapter 5

Chapter 5
SlytherinRiddle: Sort of. The Dracula stories actually came from Vlad III Drăculea, who at some point was dubbed Vlad the Impaler, a member of the House of Drăculeşti. The Drăculeşti line began with Vlad II Dracul, which is where I got my last name for Selene from.
Destructive Dragon-Azi Dahaka: You do make a good point, however, I feel that you and everyone who hold similar opinions are honestly blowing this 'whipped male character' thing out of the water. I'll be honest here, a part of the reason I do this is because I've read way to many manga, and another part is just for comedy purposes.
I find it slightly humorous when you have this strong male character who will bow to the whims of a female because of a simple look. That being said, this isn't something that will happen very often. This chapter had it because I felt it fit, but very few times will you see the 'henpecked husband' routine being done.
Now, as for Selene's character. I was actually just trying to showcase Harry's inexperience when it comes to the opposite sex. Most of the females he knows are either his age and don't have much (read: any) experience with romance, or are so much older than him they would never do something like this. Even Katrina kept her teasing to a minimum. Selene is only a few years older than Harry and defines the term eroticism in motion. Harry has never dealt with a girl like her (the closest being Perennelle who is simply astoundingly beautiful, but she has never actually used her looks like Selene was). Selene's introduction shows us that Harry does not know everything, that you can't always learn how to deal with people or certain situations from a book or tutoring.
If you want, think of it like this. So many people have complained about Harry being Gary-stu in my fist book, Harry Potter and the Gift of Memories. I never saw it, but whatever. This particular situation is there to prove that Harry is not a Gary-stu. That when he is tossed out of his element or surprised by something, he can act just as lost and confused as anyone else his age.
0 Jordinio 0: There was nothing compelling Harry when I introduced Selene. She's a vampire, not a Veela. She doesn't have any kind of allure like a Veela would, just her looks. This was a case of Harry's inexperienced mind simply being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of sexy she exuded that his mind blanked on him. Please remember, he's only twelve, and while he doesn't care one wit about romance right now, that does not mean he doesn't know anything about sex or acts of sex. His best friend is Lisa, remember?
It's sort of like knowing what cheesecake is, but having never tasted it before until now, and then being overwhelmed by how rich the flavor is.
Bad analogy, I know. Just roll with it.
Dragonskyt: No Nicolas Flamel is not Edward Elric. There is no Edward Elric here. The only thing I did was take the Full Metal alchemist version of alchemy and use it for this story. There is nothing else from FMA in this story.
GizmoDragon90: I'm honestly not sure how you think this is a filler arc. Everything I have in here so far has pushed the story forward. Chapter 1 we learned that Harry would be sending Flamel the Philosopher's Stone soon, chapter 2 Harry received a letter from Amelia Bones, chapter 3 Harry went to see Amelia to talk about Voldemort, chapter 4 Harry met Selene who is going to be very important later on, and chapter 5 Harry learned that his mail was being intercepted and Selene woke up. All of these pieces are very important plot points.
I think you are confusing my fanfic with JK Rowlings story. Harry Potter and the Heir of Slytherin is not about the Chamber of Secrets being opened. In fact, the only reason the Chamber of Secrets will open is because it's a canonical event beyond Harry's control, but it's more of a subplot than an actual plot itself.
Wrandral: What are you talking about? I haven't even introduced Dobby.
NateGold: No. Unlike most stories, I'm not going the 'magical bonding' route. Harry and Selene do not have any bond forged through her ingesting his blood or anything of the sort. Now, Selene does owe Harry a life debt, which I'm surprised someone actually managed to pick up on, but beyond that there is nothing 'magical' about their relationship.
Dante 101: I have no intention of using JK Rowlings Deus Ex Machina devices, aka the Deathly Hallows in this story. That's actually something I tried to make obvious without being too obvious in my first story. Harry's wand is a dual cored wand capable of having immense power channeled through it and, let's face it, if Harry's wand were to meet Deathly Hallow wand, Harry's wand would eat that stick for breakfast.
Yes, his wand is that awesome.
Talesfanjmf: Yes, I do know that. I actually read Harry Potter wiki when looking up information on the Trace. I decided to change it. Consider this a part of the story that is AU.
Besides, I always found it odd how Harry Potter, or any muggleborn child, had the trace on them. No one ever met them to perform the spells as far as I know. How could the Ministry put the trace on a child they never met? It was one of the many inconsistencies and plot holes that JK Rowling had in her story that never made sense.
A Tribute to one of Marvel's Sexiest Villains.
I saw that quite a few people noticed Selene's name is the same as the sexy immortal femme fatal in Marvel, the Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.
For those of you who are curious, yes, I did pick up Selene's name from the Marvel Comic book character. Why Selene? Well, why not? I was trying to think up good names that I felt would fit her character, but was having issues. I didn't want to use the name I used in my first fanfic, you know, the one that got deleted for some reason, I wanted to use a name that would inspire interest. Hence, Selene Gallio Dracul.
Update Status:
I actually managed to get pretty far with the 6th chapter of this story yesterday. I went from 0 words to 5,319 words, which I managed to crank out after work. I'm just awesome like that. Ego aside, I suspect the chapter itself will be finished some time today or tomorrow, depending on how my muse is running, though it could be longer if my muses loses motivation.

This chapter will probably be a bit shorter than my last one, I suspect around 8,500 to 10,000 words, which is still longer than what most people write.