Saturday, June 27, 2015

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon


Ever since Hestia's boob ribbon was first introduced, DanMachi has been the anime a bunch of people wanted to watch. Why? Well, I guess boob ribbons are just in this season. Regardless of what people think of Hestia and her boob ribbon, this anime is one that I myself enjoyed, though not one that I would consider the anime god's gift to man.

DanMachi is the story of Bell Cranel and his super hot loli goddess, Hestia. Bell dreams of becoming a hero, but he's kind of a coward. However, when he's rescued by another hot chick, this one a blond woman named Aiz Wallenstein, his Deus ex Machina powers as a hero are awakened and he quickly begins to grow stronger. While I was watching this anime, a small part of me always wondered if Bell had met Goku and convinced the Saiyan to let him use the hyperbolic time chamber, because that's the only way I can see him gaining that much power so quickly, but I digress. The anime itself is basically what I would call your typical Sue anime. You've got Bell, who has a lot of Sue qualities, which includes but is not limited to: quickly gaining enough strength to pass all but the most powerful of warriors, having several dozen women fall for him for no reason, learning new abilities at a rate that would make any Shonen hero jealous... did I mention the harem? Seriously, there's, like, six different women within this anime who fall for him after a single meeting.

Despite the general Sueness of his character, I actually kind of like Bell. Where most Mary Sues are dark and brooding, Bell is innocent and easily embarrassed. He's shy and lacks confidence for much of the series, which keeps him from becoming a complete Sue or, heaven forbid, a Kirito Sue. Ironic, considering his saiyuu is the same person who did the voice of Kirito from SAO. Of course, the other characters are well-developed and interesting as well. I absolutely love Hestia, and no, I don't love her because of her boob ribbons. Most of the characters themselves, even the support characters, feel like real people in this--or, you know, the anime version of real people. I don't think real people would try to grope another person in public, or maybe they would, I don't know.

While this anime isn't bad, I wouldn't call it amazing either. Like most anime to have come out recently, this one suffers from what I call a serious lack of major plot. Even now, after the anime has already ended, I'm not really sure what the main plot was about other than, "Bell gets Deus Ex Machina ability to grow strong, has women fall in love with him, and becomes sugoi." There's no clear-cut plot in here that I could discern. Much of the series is about exactly what I said. Bell is constantly powering up, gaining new abilities and becoming even stronger. Various women fall for him throughout the series. And he eventually becomes the envy of adventurers everywhere. There's no great enemy to face, no last battle between good and evil. It's just Bell Cronel growing in strength so he can become a hero... which isn't bad, but I really wanted a more cut and dry plot. You know, something like, "Bell Cranel is a weak loser who can't seem to level up, but when Hestia's boob ribbon is stolen, he'll have to find the strength to steal it back, or die trying."


Overall, I do think this was a good anime. It was entertaining and enjoyable to watch. I don't think it will be winning any Best Anime of the Year awards, but for what it was, I liked it, and consider it a refreshing change of pace from other anime of the same genre. If you want to watch something that is cute, has an interesting main character and even more interesting support characters, then you probably don't have to look any further than DanMachi.


Artwork: 8.5/10
Character Design: 9/10
Character Development: 9/10
Storyline: 6/10
Musical Composition: 5.5/10
Animation: 7/10
Total Score: 7.5/10


By the way... Hestia's boobs... without a ribbon.